background

Monday, November 22, 2010

What would you do.....?

So I've been thinking a lot about labor and how I hope this one will be like. I've always wanted to have a natural birth with no pain medications. Don't ask me why, is just something I want to do....like run a marathon someday.
I planned on having an natural birth with Wesson, but felt inspired to have an epidural at 9 1/2 cm. Right about the time I had the epidural they figured out that he head was positioned wrong. Wesson was looking up and did no have his his chin tucked down to his chest. They tried stretching my cervices open more, getting him to move, but nothing worked. I pushed for 3 hours and then had a c-section. I was 4 days late and was induced . Looking back I wish I would have waited to go into labor naturally and not be induced. Because I lasted so long , I believe I could give birth naturally if I prepared myself.
BUT.... I don't know if I should try that this time around. My doctor does do VBAC. That was one of the first questions I asked her, I was prepared to changed doctors, even though I like mine. But, she told me she would still sechdule a c-section for a week before my due date. She would then check me, if I was doing good she would push my c-section back to my due date. She knows I want VBAC, but won't let me go past my due date for a VBAC. If I go into labor naturally,  I can proceed with labor how every I want natural or epidural.I plan on begging for a few more days if I don't go into labor by my due date. Remember... I was 4 days late and induced, so I don't have big hopes of going before my due date.
Now.... Here are some questions...... Do I prepare myself for giving birth naturally only having a small chance of actually doing it? Would I feel more like a failure for having planned and prepared myself only to have a c-section? If I go natural I would want to hire a doula. Should I still hire one? If so, would I still have to pay if I cancel and have to have a c-section? Should I just worry about going into labor and not worry about giving birth natural? I could worry about that next birth if I am successful this time around. Should I change doctor's and find one that will let me got past my due date? Is that safe?  I know I can deny the c-section, but is this wise? Would putting the doctor on my bad side help me out any? Should I request a ultrasound on my due date  to see if I could push the c-section back a few days so I can more time? These are just a start of some of the questions I have.
Please feel free to give me your advice!!!! Maybe I can decide what my plan of action should be. I know I still have plenty of time to decide what to do.  Some I would know what I will have to worry about until I get to my due date. But I like to be prepared. It takes a while to prepare yourself for natural birth. So I would like to make some sort of plan soon. Help me please!!!!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Do you want me to contact my doula and have her read your blog to see what kind of answers she would advise?

Hilary said...

This is Talina's sister, Hilary :-) I had epidural's with my first two births and found them quite comfortable and all that, but with my third I had SUCH a strong desire to go natural. I did a lot of preparation, this time in the form of Hypnobabies. I LOVED it. I slept so well the entire pregnancy because of the CDs I listened to (sleep was something I'd struggled with in the past!) And my birth was beyond anything I'd even hoped for, it was amazing. I loved it and will definitely go natural if I have any more. And like that marathon you mentioned -- the more prepared you are for it, the easier and more natural it will be. Your body will fight you less and you may even enjoy it :-) (As someone who had a pain-free natural child birth, I know I wouldn't last for 15 minutes in a marathon! :-) I haven't prepared for that yet!) :-)

Good luck with the VBAC! Be prepared to stand up for yourself, listen to those promptings and push back if there's no reason to do something they want you to and you feel right about your own decisions! Even going with a natural-focused midwife, she was really pushing for an induction when I went over my due date. (And I wanted to avoid an induction at all costs, for the very reason you mentioned!) I was getting so upset, and my husband would remind me, "Hilary, nobody can MAKE you show up at the hospital, tell her you want more time."

Oh, and my friend ended up with an emergency c-section at 25 weeks, and she said she used the Hypnobabies techniques for surgery and it helped her a lot and she was glad she'd done Hypnobabies. (I can only imagine HOW stressful an emergency c-section at 25 weeks was!) So she was glad she'd been doing it, even if her birth ended up from as far from natural as you could get.
Good luck!

Torey said...

What to do, what to do. I always have these same mixed feelings when I'm pregnant. I have to say, however, that the best birth is the one that feels right for you. I often feel like there is a HUGE trend running through society (and especially among the LDS culture) that says that you have to have a natural birth at some point, a midwife, doula, etc. etc. This puts a lot of added pressure on women who are pregnant, to the point that it is easy to feel like you're just not tough enough, strong enough, or spiritual enough if you don't at some point go natural. This simply isn't true. With my last pregnancy I wanted to go natural. I listened to the hypnobabies cd's and attended classes. All-in-all, however, I let labor occur and did what felt most natural at that point. I had an epidural, had a wonderful birth, got to love and cuddle my baby, and felt that everything turned out wonderfuly. He's happy and healthy and we are all turning out great. I don't think that my decision to have an epidural really had much effect on the overall experience. What I mean by that, is that when you look at the big picture, natural, epidural, or whatever - it doesn't really matter. What matters most is that you have a healthy baby and happy family. To make an analogy from the scriptures you could think of it this way - the Brother of Jared took a barge to the promised land and Nephi took a boat. Was Nephi any more righteous or "better" than the Brother of Jared because he built a ship? Of course not. They both arrived at the promised land. Hope that helps!

Devin & Ruthann said...

But this book:

http://www.amazon.com/HypnoBirthing-natural-approach-comfortable-birthing/dp/0757302661/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290529615&sr=1-1

It will prepare you. With Jaxon, I tried the Bradley Method, but gave in and had an epidural. With Henry, I read this book and it made all the difference. It really prepared me for natural birth. And it was the most amazing experience! You can do it! I agree with Hilary...no one can make you show up at the hospital. I say give your body time and push back your c-section as much as possible.

There are natural ways to start labor without drugs. If your body truly isn't ready, they won't work. Drugs force your body to go into labor even if it's not ready.

I'm all for natural birth after experiencing it with and without an epidural. The recovery was a thousand times easier when I had a natural birth. And the actual birth experience was the most amazing experience of my life (and I have run a marathon)!

Devin & Ruthann said...

And I do NOT think having a natural birth has anything to do with how spiritual you are. I've never felt any pressure like that from the church. The church does not have any opinion about it one way or another!

I do agree with Torey though, when she says the best birth is the one that is right for you. Do what you feel is right.

Chase and Mel said...

I want to see a new belly picture!!

And do you have a name yet?

I think you have loads of advice so I won't add to your list (:

Beka said...

i had a c-sectin with my twins and was planning on vbac with O, but of course my dr. warned me of all the risks (which they have to do & i'm sure prefer to do c-section b/c it safer for them) and i think he would have let me go for it, but one of the risks was a little too risky for me (like the uterus could rupture and the baby could die...)- so i just went with another c-section---but i know there are websites and people out there who are ANTI-Dr;s, anti all that crap- i dont totally understand everything about it and since i was already cut open once, i figured damage is already done. i had a friend who just recently delivered Vbac, and my sis anna had her first c-section and 4more kids vbac--so its possible--just risky--its a hard call- FOLLOW THE SPIRIT--i just didnt want to put my babys life a risk, but i dont judge any others if they choose to do so. My dr. did say when he cut me open that my uterus is paper thin so it was good i opted for another c b/c it couldve ruptured during labor.