background

Monday, February 21, 2011

Girl or Boy???

So I found this really cute fall/spring jacket I wanted to make. I plan on making it a boy's jacket. It's 18 months. I went to the store and had a hard time coming up with fabric that I really loved. I also had a hard time finding boy fabric without it being to pattered like dog, cars, or bugs. I'm not a fan of those all over, I only handle them in small doses. So I picked some fabric that I thought looked good together and went home a sewed it. I thought it turned out really cute and I had no problems following the pattern. I spent a little less than 4 hours on it. Here is what it looks like.


Here is what the back and the hood look like. I have an accent strip down the back of the hood.

And the same material down the front. I also picked a nice yellow for the button loops. I was trying to added a different color and not stay with blue. I tend to stick on one color. So added yellow and green. I really love all the top stitching. It makes it look more professional. 

My problem is...... my husband hates it! He also thinks that a BOY should NOT wear it. I think it turned out really cute, but is it more girl than boy? Would you have your 18 month old wear this? I made it for a gift, but now I just want to tuck it away and not look at it. I don't want to embarrass myself by giving it away and them hating it!

Please let me know what you think of this jacket. If it is more girls I could give as a girl present and make something different for this boy. 

I think this project was a flop. Next time I will go with a more basic color for a boy, or just stick to making it for girls.


On the other hand.... I had some scraps of flannel left over so I made Baby Barrett some more cute burp rags. If he is anything like his brother, I will need a ton!!!
4-6 weeks until I get to meet my little man!!!

12 comments:

Harmony’s House said...

I think the accent fabric on the hood and button area make it look too girly. :( I love the jacket! Save it for a girl project! Don't be embarrassed or upset because it's super cute!!!

Alicia W said...

It's totally girly, but I love it! And I would put my daughter it in any time.

Matt and Maggie said...

LanaMarie, I am so sorry Kent hates it! Matt says solid colors or wide stripes. If I was not helpful today I am just as embarrassed as you might feel. Maybe you should keep it for a future little lady. :)
In the meantime you should feel so proud! It is an amazing jacket!

Talina said...

I think it is girly, but super cute girly, so definately hold onto it for a girls gift. Boys are harder, since you need a definite 'boy' pattern (like the ones you mentioned you don't like) or basically plain colors/patterns. It's a super cute design though and I think could be made for a boy or girl, depending on the fabric used. It turned out super cute. You should be proud of it.

Rachel said...

I agree, girly...sorry! It's way super cute though!

Devin & Ruthann said...

a little girly, but SO cute!

Bethany said...

Holy Cow! I'm just amazed at your mad sewing skills and how you can just whip out a jacket in just 4 hours. Very cute. I think the lining fabric would look great for the outside of a boy jacket.

Bethany said...

This style of jacket reminds me of Pattington Bear's coat. I bet it would look really for a boy in a brick red color. Just a thought.

Tasha said...

I think it does look girly, but it looks so cute I think it would be part of a wardrobe for a kid's magazine. It it adorable! Your talent just amazes me!

Thorne Family said...

First I didn't say anything of the sort. I just said it was girly. Not that it looked horrible. I think the coat looks great...just not for a boy.

Thorne Family said...

this is kent btw.

Geevz said...

I'm going to go with girl, but I would happily accept it :)