background

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

33 week appointment and ultrasound

Today I had a 33 week appointment, but before that I had an ultrasound upstairs. The doctor was concerned that I was measuring 4 weeks ahead and wanted to do a ultrasound. I was hoping that the ultrasound would say that the baby was not measuring 4 weeks ahead and that it was just extra fluid. I almost got my wish. The baby was measuring still big but not as big (whatever that means) The technician estimated the baby to be 5.8 lbs. It should be 4.5lbs. Not to bad, considering they gain 6oz a week. So if the  estimate is correct it's only about 2 weeks bigger than normal. Lucky for me I have Tryon and Thorne genes which means I look big, and have big babies. My husband was a 10lb er. She also said that I did have extra fluid. Just a tiny bit.

The ultrasound was about a 1/2 hour long and I got some really cute pictures of my little one. It looks like he will have big cheeks like Wesson and a cute button nose. I didn't have an ultrasound after 20 weeks with Wesson, so it was really nice to see what the baby looks like when it is bigger and looks more like a baby.

I then went downstairs to see the doctor. She got after me for wearing heeled boots. She told me to wear tennis shoe instead. I was trying to avoid getting my feet wet in the snow outside. Now I know not to wear them next time I go to the doctor's. Yes, I will keep wearing them especially to work! I can not wear tennis shoes to work and I will not be buying new shoes! I will be more careful so I don't slip on the ice though. I lost a lb this week. Now that is a lot better than gaining weight! We are eating a lot more vegetables and less sugar so I am not concerned about losing weight. I am still eating, in fact I had ice cream 4 times last week!!!! I usually never have ice cream!!! I was in heaven!! She wasn't too happy about the baby weighing more than it should and I still get the vibe that she wants to do a c-section, but won't say it. She still wants to do another ultrasound at 37 weeks to monitor the extra fluid and the weight of the baby. I hope I will go earlier than later, to save me from c-section. But baby will come when baby is ready! I go back in, in 2 weeks and then she starts checking my cervix.
What is your opinion on getting your membranes stripped? I had them stripped with Wesson. I did nothing and didn't really hurt. I know Hypnobirthing is not for it. But I can either get them stripped and hope it works and baby comes. Or not have it done and risk getting a c-section. I won't get them stripped until at least 37 weeks. I normally would just wait this time around, but feel really pressured to  have this baby early or have a c-section. What would you do?

3 comments:

Hilary said...

Just my own personal opinion, but I think that, typically, unless your body is pretty close to having the baby, stripping the membranes doesn't typically do much. BUT, if you're getting close and it'll keep you from needing a c-section, might as well try it! I don't think it'll put you in labor if the baby is not ready, but if you're close it may be what tips the scales in your favor!
Good luck :-)

Bethany said...

I would have her do it. I see no down side. If it works, great! If not, well at least you tried. If you don't do it and he comes later than you're hoping, you'll wonder if it would have made a difference.

M said...

Maybe next time you should switch Drs so you get one that is more along the same thought process as you. Your doc seems to be not very open to VBAC. I hope it works out though... Im not sure about what to saw with membrane stripping. I never went into labor on my own ):

Can't wait to meet the big little guy !

Mel