So as you know I found a tutorial for making a puff quilt
here. Well..... I guess I don't know how to read instructions, or it was worded weird, and I got way too much fabric. By way too much, I mean enough for 3 quilts!!!! Not just one!!!! Well technically, I'm 4 puffs short, I plan on piecing some material together to finish up those 4 puffs. I also plan on making a taggie blanket out of the scrap material, so I don't' waste any! Oh... and I decided to buy my own fabric. Thank you guys for your encouragement to go a ahead a give it a shot! I am so glad you did!!!! Once a got my fabric using a ton of coupons and one gift card (Thanks Bethany) I spent $18 dollars on fabric instead of $64!!!! I got my fabric and we so excited I started cutting up all my squares...... then I realized I had way too much!!! I figured wasted fabric already that I would finish cutting up all the squares and see where that got me. I also noticed that she was making a 8X 8 square quilt with a 5 inch border. If you do the math that makes it the totally wrong size for a crib. So I altered mine to be a 6x11 square quilt. This makes it about an inch wider than the mattress and a few inches shorter than the length of the mattress. I decided I could live with that. I also ended up having to buy some more muslin for the backing. I was confused when I bought it because it came in 90 inches and 120 inches instead of the normal 45 inches. So I bought more, this time knowing I was making more than one quilt. Again I used coupons and spent $4 instead of $9. So all in all this is what I ended up with.....

A whole lots of puffs!!!!!
I then organized them all into individual blankets. I did 2 different patterns and the 3rd ended up not having enough of the right material so I just did a random pattern. I made lovely little graphs to help me keep track of each pattern and bagged them up separately.
I know really Hi-tech.
I then figured out how to put the walking foot on my machine. Just so you know... there are no instructions included with the Brother walking foot. So I googled it and figured it out. Though... there is a piece that came with it that I never figured out what it was for.......so I did without it!
And this my friend is what I did while Wesson took his 2 hour nap!!!
I still need to buy batting (which is on sale this weekend) and some of that fuzzy green material for the back and the 5 inch border. So even though it looks too narrow, it will have an additional 4 inches around the edge. ( You have to subtract the seams with.) Now I just have to decide what color I want to do the binding. I'm thinking a dark brown. What do you think?
5 comments:
Wow I love it, and I also really like your charts! That's amazing! Yes I like a dark brown border on it. I'm very impressed!
That looks great! I have loved this quilt since I first saw it. Way to go!
Wow awesome job! Can't wait to see it all finished. Maybe there's enought to make a matching one for Wesson? That would be so cute. You'll have to post tons of pictures when it's all done.
LanaMarie, I love it. It is beautiful! Dark brown sounds awesome. Don't forget we gotta make play date plans! That, and we should totally do a race or two together, when you're ready.
I want to make one of these but it looks like it takes forever! It's SO cute though, I'll just have to try it!
Post a Comment