background

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Wesson's birth story

Lately I've been think a lot about labor. How my labor will start? How will it differ from my last labor? When will it happen. Last time I was really stressing about the "When" question. Everyone told me I would go early. I was measuring big, I was huge, so I believed everyone. So when I went over I was really upset, I then started stressing about how big my baby would be and if I would be able to push my baby out. I tried everything to induce labor. I talked my doctor into letting me get induced 4 days late. She wanted to wait until 42 weeks. Looking back I should have listened to her.  Anyways I realized that I never did write down Wesson's birth story. So I decided to do it now. Here is goes.....
At my 40 week check up I begged my doctor you induce me the following Monday. 4 days past due. I was only dilated to a 2 and 50% effaced at the doctor's. I was positive that I wouldn't reach then and still reach then and still be pregnant. I was shocked that I made it to my due date. Everyone told me I was huge and I would  go before my due date. I was also measuring 1 1/2 ahead. I was pretty bummed about not having the baby and just wanted to be done. I had already tried every self inducing method known to man, and nothing!!! Not even one contraction!
I was scheduled to be induced at 6am. Needless to say I did not sleep very well the night before. We woke up early and got to the hospital. They checked me and I had progressed to a 3. They started the pitocin around 7am. I delivered at Methodist. Which is one of the best hospitals to deliver naturally at. I had a huge room, a tub, and wireless transducers. So I got hooked up and walked and walked and walked. At 3pm they checked me and I was at a 6 and they broke my water. I still had not really felt any contractions. My nurse would comment on how big a contraction was and if I had felt it. I just sat on my birthing ball and did sudoku, and just feel a slight tightening of my uterus. They had turned the pit all the way up by now. After they broke my water I walked some more. After about a half hour I started having contractions where I had to stop walking. After a few more laps I went back to my room and sat on a chair backward and had Kent rub my back during contractions. He had to leave for a bit to eat lunch, I got to eat a Popsicle. While he was gone, my nurse rubbed my back. After an hour of so of this I headed to the tub. My contractions got stronger in the tub. I started puking, but I still didn't even think about having an epidural. About 6ish I got out of the tub and I instantly knew I wanted an epidural. I'll call it inspiration. I told Kent who was shocked that I asked for one, and asked me if I was sure. I told him yes. The nurse told me that she would check me and then let me decide if I still wanted one. I got checked and I was 9 1/2cm. I told them yes. I almost immediately got one. I continued to throw up. I got the chills, and Wesson's heart rate started dropping. An internal monitor was placed and I was placed on oxygen. They then tried st reaching my cervices because I guess a had a lip that would not move. My SIL in came to take pictures and we were told the baby would be here in about a half hour. Then then realized that he head was positioned wrong. Instead of having his chin down to his chin, it was tipped backed. So again hands went up me and tried to change his head position.  They had me try getting on my hands and knees also. But this time I was glad I got my epidural. Even though it didn't work as well as it should. I guess they asked me where I felt pain and I yelled "In my crouch". Sorry if that's too much info. I then pushed for 3 hours!!! I was so tired. They did do an ultrasound and determined that this baby was not going to change his position. I was still at a +2 station. They told me I could keep this up for who know how long, or have a c-section. I decided I would have a c-section. I was wheeled to OR. I was really tired and just wanted to sleep, but I really wanted to see my baby. They were cleaning my belly when I told them that it tickled. They seemed shocked that I could feel it. I swear a minute later I heard. "Ok, I'm going to make the incision." I was shocked! I just felt something a minute ago, and not you are cutting me open!!!  I was still trying so hard to stay awake, but I was losing it fast. They then pulled the screen down and told me to look. They were pulling the baby out! I couldn't really see much. After they weighted him 8lb 10 oz  21 inch long they let me look at him. Kent brought him over and they untied one of my hands and let me touch him. I then was out. Next thing I remember is waking up in recovery. After about an hour of so they wheeled me to the nursery and let me look at him through the window. The wheeled me to my room and then brought me Wesson and I got to hold him for the 1st time 3 hours after he was born!

No comments: