background

Monday, May 23, 2011

Sour milk

These last two month have been crazy when it comes to breastfeeding. As you know I got Mastitis  when Barrett was 2 weeks old. Now I am familiar with mastitis. I had it four times with Wesson, and finally had to stop breastfeeding when he was 8 month because they could not make it go away. Well folk.... I am now on my 3 round of mastitis this time around!! I have now had it 7 times so far!!! Way too many!!! Not only do I get mastitis all the time, but I randomly pump ounces of blood. So much blood that it hurts Barrett's tummy and his poop turns black!!! Plus it hurts like the dickens when I pump, or nurse on that side. I also still have a huge cut on that side that will not go away even with perscription breast cream. So I went and saw the lactation consulate first to make sure it's not just a latching problem, or make they could give me some answers or help with the blood, cut, or pain. My breast were constantly in pain all day long. They did find out Barrett was latching wrong. They helped me fix that. I brought with me a bag of milk that I had pumped the day before. They were shocked that came out came and had no clue what would cause that. The lactation lady called the head lady and together the consulted medical journals and could come up with answer to my problem. The called me a "learning tool". That made me feel great! I talked with them for an hour and we decided to feed off one side and pump on the side that produced blood until they came up with more answers. It I got blood dump the milk, and keep the good milk to feed the baby with. The then told me I had to talk with my doctor. Well, I had my 6 week post baby visit right after. The lactation people walked me over to my doctor and talked with my doctor and nurse before they saw me. My doctor had no answers for me. But on a good side note, I'm only 10 lbs off my pre baby weight. Also she didn't check me at all, just asked me some question and called it good. I thought that was strange. Maybe because I have my yearly check up in a few months. Anyways back to the breastfeeding. My doctor had no other answers and sent me up to have an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed nothing. (I had the same problem last time, had an ultrasound. Nothing showed up then too). So she put me on pain meds and scheduled me for another ultrasound in a week. Well and few days later I pumped blood. So I called the doctor to see if they wanted me to come in and have an ultrasound while I was bleeding. They didn't. They canceled the ultrasound. They were hoping it would not come back. And then scheduled me with a breast specialist. Went to the breast specialist and they looked around and found nothing. Well... Kent asked me how it went and I told him "oh.. I just love it when old men rub my breast, pinch my nipples, comment on how one is bigger than the other, and then tell me I have a third nipple!" Yes, this doctor was crazy. I have a mold, but this doctor is convinced it's a third nipple. Sorry if that is too much info. But I just think it's crazy!!! Basically he did nothing and told me to deal with it and either stop breastfeeding if I can't handle it or keep going. It didn't matter to him. ( I went to a specialist with my Wesson and they also said the same thing) I guess it's not that big of a deal, even though everyone else seemed concerned about it. Oh well. I got mastitis  two different weekends in a row. So as soon as I heal up from mastitis I plan on drying up. I am done with it! I can't stand the high fevers, chills, aches, and throbbing chest that comes with it. I just hope I can dry up without getting it again. Wish me luck!!!
Cute story:
Saturday I woke up from nap with Mastitis- it usually will hit me a few hours after feeling sore. So I wake up and both boys were in bed with me taking a nap and I am so sick I can't get out of bed. Kent is at work and will not be home for about 2 hours. Wesson waked up and I tell him I'm sick and cold. I was having chills at the time. So he goes in his room and grabs some of his blankets and covers me up. Then brings me his teddy bear for me to cuddle. He then sent the next hour bringing books in and read to me while I doozed off and on. He never got into trouble. He decided he was hungry and found some pretzels on the the counter, brought them to me and asked if he could have some. I told him he could and he ate them very nicely on the bed. Barrett then woke up and needed to eat. Wesson impressed me so much. He went and got the pacifier for me then got the bottle out of the fridge and heated it up in a cup or warm water to the correct temp. and brought it to me to feed Barrett. I was so impressed that he knew how it  do that!!! He also brought me my purse so I could make a call. I was supposed to be at a big formal art show/ fundraiser for work. I had to call and let them know I couldn't make it.
I am so thankful for such a sweet boy. I'm glad he took care of me and Barrett until his daddy could come home!!! I'm glad he didn't try to get into things or complain that he wanted something that I would have to get out of bed for. I'm glad he was happy and willing to help me with having to ask him twice. I love my boys!!! I am blessed to have them in my life. Thank you Wesson for being such a big helper and taking care of Mommy!!! I love you!!!

3 comments:

Talina said...

I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time! I can't even imagine! But I really loved the story of Wesson at the end. He is such a little sweetie! Hope things get better quickly!

Geevz said...

How sweet of Wessen! You are a better nurser than me, I would have called it quits waaaaaaaay sooner. You should be proud of yourself for being that committed. I wish you a mastitis free weaning.

Harmony’s House said...

Man mastitis sounds terrible!!! I wonder why you keep getting it! I hope things improve! If not, you shouldn't feel guilty about using formula. Lots of people do! Your babies will love you just the same! No one can fault you for not trying.

Wesson is a sweetheart! :)